Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I wrote this post when I first started my blog. My beautiful Aunt is so sick now, that she can't write in her blog anymore. She can't get out of bed without help. I know she's leaving us and sometimes I feel very logical about it, as though I've mentally prepared. But after reading Curtis' last two posts, I realize that there is no way to prepare. I sit here broken hearted, tears falling and just feel sick. I reread all about the crane project and cried my eyes out. So many people love this wonderful woman. She's an angel on Earth.


This is my beautiful Aunt Ellen, who has inspired me to start blogging. My first recollection of her was at her first wedding when I was about 7 years old. After that, I didn't see her again until last summer when she came to visit us in BC.
My Aunt Ellen has an energy about her that just makes me want to stop and smell the roses. I read her blogs daily to keep up with her thoughts and feelings, and she just makes me wish I could be near her. It's funny how you can see some relatives and wonder where the heck the genetic connection is. With her, I instantly felt a kinship. I felt like I was talking to a long lost sister rather than an aunt. This picture was taken the day she left BC. I had said my goodbyes the night before, but ran back over to my parents' house the next morning to catch her before she and her wonderful husband Curtis left. The reason, to get this picture.
As I mentioned in my last entry, my sis, my daughter and I made a calendar for my dad last year for Fathers Day. The calendar featured my dog Frisky in various costumes representing a significant event or holiday for each month. I figured, what could be more significant for that month than her visit with us?
My Aunt has been suffering with some pretty heavy medical issues in the last couple of years. Cancer is so cruel. It can take away so much, and yet she always seems to have time, energy, and concern for others. Just reading her blogs shows me that. Seeing the concern and love that pours onto her from former students, fellow bloggers, and friends is a direct indication of how many lives she has touched and continues to touch each day. She's a truly lovely person with an obvious passion (and skill) for writing stories of her childhood, and of daily events that can make you smile to yourself, or well up with tears.
We were all lucky enough to meet and get to know her husband Curtis as well. I rarely see a couple so much in love. It shows in the way they look at each other, talk to each other, and take care of each other. Truly inspiring to those of us who haven't found Mr. or Mrs. right just yet.
I was reading Curtis' blog the other day and my heart swelled so much I thought it would burst. He was talking about how happy it made him to see my Aunt happy, and I just thought it was the sweetest, most genuine sentiment. So heartfelt I sat there grinning from ear to ear while at the same time tears stung my eyes. Of course, I can't even get through an episode of Little house on the prairie without bawling, but still!
Anyway, I've only laid eyes on Curtis and Aunt Ellen a handful of times, but I love them both. Somehow, they move me, sap that I am.

6 comments:

ellen said...

Welcome to blogland, Sharon! I see a lot of sadness in my eyes in that photo; that's because I had to say goodbye that day to family that I love very much. Distance doesn't diminish that; it only seems to intensify it.

I've added you to my blogroll, so I hope you get a few visitors from time to time; my little blog community consists of wonderful, warm folk from all over the planet.

Love you tons.

Herman Verbrugge said...

What a wonderfull thoughts you have about your aunt and her husband Curtis. And how well did you describe these two nice people as a relative. I certainly will read your blog as Ellen encouraged us to do. I write sometimes a few words because my English is not so good. But I assure you I will read your blog. And I also add you to my Blogroll, maybe it will help to get some comments from Holland. OK?
All the best from:
Herman

Penny in NH said...

Hi Sharon:
I too am a cyber friend of Ellen and Curtis. I look forward to reading your blog as well.
Penny in NH

Penny Halston said...

Welcome to our part of the blogworld. I started my blog as a result of getting to know Ellen through my daughter, who was a past student of hers. You are fortunate to be related to such a wonderful person. Amen to everything you said. I don't have time to link you right now, but when I get a moment, I'd love to add you to my blogroll.

Kim said...

Welcome Sharon! Your aunt is an incredible woman and like you, both her and Curtis move a lot of us. I look forward to reading your blog.

Kim

TheFunkyCowboy said...

Ellen is a true sweetheart of a person and can see that this blog of yours will be just as enlightening and entertaining as Ellen is - must be something in the family genes

10 comments:

Kyleen King Zelenak said...

Sharon,
Your Aunt Ellen is one of the first people I met when I started blogging. I admired her humor and warmth and loved her from the start. She has inspired and encouraged me on more than one occasion.

I have been praying hard for Ellen and Curtis. I will include you in my prayers too.

Anonymous said...

It makes my heart sick and very heavy to think that this person who we read about and loved because of you and her creative writing is so sick. Cancer does not play favorites or picks and chooses, it hits people every day and the reality is that more and more people are leaving this world from this disease.

I lost my first cousin to this monster two years ago and she passed away a month after she was diagnosed. She was 38 and left two boys behind with no mommy.After that day I have thought of nothing else. Every night I go to bed and all I can pray for is good health to all the people of the world. My own personal prayer is that our LORD should see it fit to spare me my life just long enough to raise my children, so I can be there for them as they grow up.

My prayers are with your family in these hard days ahead and I pray with all my heart that Ellen is not in pain and that Curtis be given the strength he needs to pull through this. My thoughts and love are with you Ellen and Curtis and God bless you both for showing us younger people that true love is not only in fairytales.

Kiki

Unknown said...

Now the end is near, it is so difficult to find the right words to talk about her and Curtis. I can only say she became a very good friend of me and my wife. About two weeks ago, in one of her last e-mails, she wrote about her brother Frank, your Dad, and how much she missed him and she said so much lovely things about you and Alicia. I know how much she loves her family in BC.

BarbaraMG said...

Sharon - I think and worry about Curtis & Ellen on an almost hourly basis now. I worry about how Ellen is doing and I worry about how Curtis will get through all this, especially how he will go on without the love of his life. I dread checking blogs because I know the news is going to come soon.
Curtis and Ellen kept me believing that true love exists. I am not saying that lightly. I had given up on ever finding anyone but their blogs kept me believing that it just one day happen for me too. (And it did!)
Ellen is on of the world's most beautiful people. I am so honoured that I have had the opportunity to know her through blogging.
Love to you dear one.

Anonymous said...

My heart is heavy for both Curtis and Ellen, and the rest of your family. You may not have spent much time with your aunt, but I see her personality in your blog. I hope everyone's comments and prayers will bring comfort to Ellen and Curtis. I also feel honoured to call Ellen a friend. Hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely picture! I got to know your Aunt Ellen through blogging and she is such a warm, caring person. Both her and Curtis are in my thoughts and prayers. It is a sad time for your whole family. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Ok now you've done it, got me over here snifflin' and what not. Ellen is a wonderful woman and lucky to have a niece such as you. I'm even gettin' use to you. Love ya.

Susan said...

I am a sap, probably the biggest one around! Your post got me snufflin too.
Your aunty is an amazing lady. Her blog was olny about everyday happenings. Nothing to write the paper about. But we are all living our every day lives and sharing her joy in what many folk consider mundane. Thats part of why she appeals to so many,,, her enthusiasm for the smallest of Gods gifts.
I will miss her sorely.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sharon,
I went tonight to visit Aunt Ellen with mom and dad. Despite what she is going through she always asks how we are doing. She has a wonderful group of people taking care of all of her needs. All she has to do is push the button and someone comes to check on her right away. Half of one wall facing her bed is actually a cork board where Curtis has tacked all of her cards and copies of blogs from her wonderful friends she has met through her own blog. Her room smells wonderful of all the flowers people have sent her. She sure has a wonderful group of people who love her very much. We all are praying for both Aunt Ellen and Curtis.

Shirley

Anonymous said...

All I can do is pray. I don't know if God is listening or just telling me that he wants our aunt at his side on angel duty. Quite frankly, I think she would do more good here on earth. I'm just so sad, and dreading what's to come. I can hardly stand it, but Ellen and Curtis are always on my mind and in my heart. They're both so brave, I don't know how they manage it.