Saturday, April 29, 2006

This is my beautiful Aunt Ellen, who has inspired me to start blogging. My first recollection of her was at her first wedding when I was about 7 years old. After that, I didn't see her again until last summer when she came to visit us in BC.
My Aunt Ellen has an energy about her that just makes me want to stop and smell the roses. I read her blogs daily to keep up with her thoughts and feelings, and she just makes me wish I could be near her. It's funny how you can see some relatives and wonder where the heck the genetic connection is. With her, I instantly felt a kinship. I felt like I was talking to a long lost sister rather than an aunt. This picture was taken the day she left BC. I had said my goodbyes the night before, but ran back over to my parents' house the next morning to catch her before she and her wonderful husband Curtis left. The reason, to get this picture.
As I mentioned in my last entry, my sis, my daughter and I made a calendar for my dad last year for Fathers Day. The calendar featured my dog Frisky in various costumes representing a significant event or holiday for each month. I figured, what could be more significant for that month than her visit with us?
My Aunt has been suffering with some pretty heavy medical issues in the last couple of years. Cancer is so cruel. It can take away so much, and yet she always seems to have time, energy, and concern for others. Just reading her blogs shows me that. Seeing the concern and love that pours onto her from former students, fellow bloggers, and friends is a direct indication of how many lives she has touched and continues to touch each day. She's a truly lovely person with an obvious passion (and skill) for writing stories of her childhood, and of daily events that can make you smile to yourself, or well up with tears.
We were all lucky enough to meet and get to know her husband Curtis as well. I rarely see a couple so much in love. It shows in the way they look at each other, talk to each other, and take care of each other. Truly inspiring to those of us who haven't found Mr. or Mrs. right just yet.
I was reading Curtis' blog the other day and my heart swelled so much I thought it would burst. He was talking about how happy it made him to see my Aunt happy, and I just thought it was the sweetest, most genuine sentiment. So heartfelt I sat there grinning from ear to ear while at the same time tears stung my eyes. Of course, I can't even get through an episode of Little house on the prairie without bawling, but still!
Anyway, I've only laid eyes on Curtis and Aunt Ellen a handful of times, but I love them both. Somehow, they move me, sap that I am.

4 comments:

ellen said...

Welcome to blogland, Sharon! I see a lot of sadness in my eyes in that photo; that's because I had to say goodbye that day to family that I love very much. Distance doesn't diminish that; it only seems to intensify it.

I've added you to my blogroll, so I hope you get a few visitors from time to time; my little blog community consists of wonderful, warm folk from all over the planet.

Love you tons.

Unknown said...

What a wonderfull thoughts you have about your aunt and her husband Curtis. And how well did you describe these two nice people as a relative. I certainly will read your blog as Ellen encouraged us to do. I write sometimes a few words because my English is not so good. But I assure you I will read your blog. And I also add you to my Blogroll, maybe it will help to get some comments from Holland. OK?
All the best from:
Herman

Penny said...

Welcome to our part of the blogworld. I started my blog as a result of getting to know Ellen through my daughter, who was a past student of hers. You are fortunate to be related to such a wonderful person. Amen to everything you said. I don't have time to link you right now, but when I get a moment, I'd love to add you to my blogroll.

Terry aka Funky said...

Ellen is a true sweetheart of a person and can see that this blog of yours will be just as enlightening and entertaining as Ellen is - must be something in the family genes