Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Vancouver Zoo

Warning! Dangerous animal! Do not tease or touch!





Well yesterday was pretty overcast, so there was no beach for me! I took most of the week off to hang out with Anastasia while Kelly was at work. She's with us for about ten days, so we thought we'd do some fun, adventurous things. Yesterday we went to the Vancouver Zoo. It's about an hour and fifteen minutes from my house, but it's well worth it. The place is huge and is constantly being improved. A couple of years ago I was there with a friend and, as we walked by the hippo enclosure, we marveled at the bravery of two zoo workers who were getting dangerously close to a hippo that was soaking in a pool of water. The next day in the news, it was reported that one of the hippos had died. That explained the bravery. Anyway, after an investigation, it came out that the conditions that the hippos were living in bordered on abusive and were most certainly neglectful.

Well, after all the finger pointing and threats to the zoo, there has been massive improvements that are ongoing and the hippo's enclosure is now a haven for these guys.

Here's the little lioness sunning herself with the girls.



It's hard to see in this pic, but I think these were the baboons. I just liked the pic cuz it's a nice one of this rare "blue haired booger nugget."

So for today's' adventure Alicia, Anastasia, and I will be off to the arena to go ice skating. Stay tuned for the riveting photographic evidence of our day! LOL

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You had a nice day with the girls and what a sad story about the hippo but sometimes these things can happen. I do not know if you heard about an escaped gorilla in the Zoo Blijdorp (Rotterdam). that happened about 7 weeks ago. This silverback male wounded a woman who is stil under treathment in a hospital. Bokito, that's the name of the gorilla, is now back in the Zoo.

Anonymous said...

Ahhwww..Why can't I tease or touch her? She's so cute..."mmwhuahhh". I mean, the cutest thing in the zoo, really.

sharon said...

Herman: Wow, how scary for that woman. I hope she recovers! I think if that were here they would put the animal down, though I don't think they should.

Glenda: Well okay, next time you come here, you can tease her all you like. LOL

BTW I can't wait to come and visit you in October! Any names yet?