Friday, September 29, 2006

Isn't this just the best example of the pressures on young girls to maintain a ridiculous standard of skinny? Just look at Nicole Richie, Paris Hilton, the Olsen twins, Kelly Ripa, and so many more women who fall victim to what they think society expects. admittedly, I have felt the sting of not feeling able to keep up to the Barbie's of the world. I just hope that in this day and age, Girls realize that it isn't normal to be skin and bone.


The reason this is floating around in my head is that I've been working out all week and am painfully aware of every muscle in my body. I've also started to look a little more closely at the junk I've been
scarfing down at 10:00 at night lately. I won't lie and say that I'm not hoping to drop a few pounds, but I think my main objective is to feel strong and healthy. I'm 34 now, and my fitness level has dropped since I've taken up "couch sitting" and "channel surfing" rather than the excersise I used to engage in.


Surely to God I can find some happy medium between the above picture, which I would never want to look like, and the one below, which I know I don't look like, but sometimes, on a bloated day, I feel like (LOL):


6 comments:

ellen said...

You're a smart lady to include a fitness regimen and some sensible eats in your day - after all, there's a line of pudge runnin through the Dutch side of the female genes in our family....but you're even wiser to realize that you are NOT fat, and that Hollywood's "standards of beauty" are unrealistic and unhealthy.

Anonymous said...

Obviously Miss Hippo wasn't looking at herself in the mirror of a swimwear store change room with all the florescent lights or she would never have gone to the beach wearing it.

Penny said...

I know how you feel. I'm mostly happy with my size but where did that cellulite come from? My legs used to be my favourite body part and now, especially in change room lighting, I wonder how I dare set foot on the beach. I wish they'd figure out they'd sell more clothes if they put in softer lighting. Even at home in the glare of daylight I don't look as bad as in a change room.

Penny said...

I took another look at that hippo and started thinking that her butt looks pretty bodacious. Round and curvy. No cellulite anywhere. Maybe it's a look she can pull off.

Anonymous said...

I think your Auntie Ellen is losing it...what's wrong with being a slug...lol. Geez that Barbie doll looks like something out of Beetle Juice...finger down my throat. Yep you're right, you are getting old...hitting the big 34...sigh wish I could remember back that far. I'm catching up on my reading so you have a wonderful week now ya hear

Anonymous said...

You look perfect in you profile pic.We all could eat healthier and get in better shape. But the extreme examples that hollywood puts before us are so unhealthy.