Thursday, September 21, 2006

After seeing Alicia off to school yesterday morning, I threw a load of laundry in, sat down with a bowl of mini wheats and my newspaper, and began doing my crossword puzzle. I had barely gotten started when I heard the cycle shift, and then the sound of water pouring onto the floor. Obviously alarmed, I rushed around the corner to find water gushing out of the machine and splashing all over the linoleum that had just been put in last November. Smoke billowed out of the back of the appliance, and I reflexively pushed the button to turn it off. I then pulled all the soaking, heavy clothes out of the washer, hoping that when it was empty, I could drain the damned thing. When I tried turning it back on to see if it would drain, it threw off large sparks! There I stood in 2 inches of water, my arms soaked to the elbows, marveling at the fact that I didn't just electrocute myself! My thoughts flashed on how close I could have been to meeting my maker for a second there. Anyway, I turned off the power from the breaker, and began the laborious job of mopping up all the water. I had to pull the fridge out, the dryer, and because of the drum full of water, I couldn't budge the washer. What a way to start the morning. This morning I took my garden hose, put one end in the washing machine, and dragged the other end outside. I then proceeded to suck on the end of the hose until the water began to drain happily out into the yard. Phew! Now I could at least move the machine and mop up the floor underneath! I had visions of my linoleum lifting and my damage deposit disappearing!
Anyway, now I have no washer, and Alicia hasn't done all the mountains of laundry she had after she cleaned her room. My sister generously offered to let me use her washer until I have the situation handled, but I hope to have a new/used one, like, yesterday.
Enough of my belly aching, now. I must go run some errends between clients. I'm working on getting Alicia a passport for this December when my parents take her to Mexico. Ola, amigos!

7 comments:

ellen said...

Holy doodle, you could have been fried to a crispy critter! I wouldn't advise advertising that you can suck water through a garden hose; you might get some unsavoury comments - oh, not from me, I'm too clean-minded *snorf*....

sharon said...

Aunt Ellen:
I live for the unsavoury comments. They're the best kind! But I know that you're much too pure to have any "unsavoury" thoughts...mmm hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Yipes girl! That was a close one. I would have been left wondering what became of you.
Aunt Ellen! I am shocked! LOL

Anonymous said...

How is the linoleum now? I have no comments on that sucking water through a garden hose naughty aunty Ellen :-)
This scene can be added into a comic series. At least my day started with a BIG BIG smile when I read this story :-)

Penny said...

Like auntie, like niece! I know I can count on a laugh when I visit you, two. Kudos to you. I wouldn't have known what to do. But then I don't usually suck on hoses....

~DdK~ said...

BWAAAAHHHHHH HAAA HAH AH AHAHA HAHA AHAH AHAH ahah AHahhHHAhaaaha aha hah *sniff...hah ha *snort..ha ha heh heh......whew, heh heh....*sigh

ahhhhh, that's rich

Anonymous said...

Hey the water is ok, it's when you start doing basketballs through the hose that ... anyway I'm glad to see that everything is going just fine out there and you are having a lovely time. Ellen has been around her hillbilly husband to long...I'm starting to rub off.