Tuesday, September 19, 2006

OOOOOH, I'm having one of those days!!!

The good news is, I found my camera!

The bad news is, it was buried under a pile of junk behind my daughter's bed! I must have left it on the computer table, and I guess it was in the way, so somehow, it ended up getting lost in this abyss of clothes, video games, controllers, walkmans, ipods, paper, garbage, pencil shavings...You get the idea.

As I climbed over the mountains of dirty clothes, my fury rose at the realization that there were clean, still folded clothes intermingled with the dirty ones. Digging through the debris, I marveled at the ancient runes that I recognized from years passed. Clothing I forgot she had, 3 pairs of my scissors that she swore she didn't have, make up, nail polish, posters!

The thing is, I've never been accused of being a neat freak, but how could I have raised a child with such low standards? How can she live in this dump?

I know I shouldn't have started cleaning, because it teaches her nothing, but I couldn't help it. After shoveling a full garbage bag of trash out of there, I sorted 3 heaping baskets of laundry, and threw a bunch of stuff on her futon. The more I cleaned, the angrier I became. We just got new carpets put into our rental townhouse last November and there was make-up without lids on the floor, along with shavings from pencil crayons, nail polish with drips down the sides, dangerously close to getting on the carpet and more.

Anyway, she'd kill me if she knew I was exposing her for the slob that she is, but I need to vent, dammit! So now she will come home, and I will send her to her room to finish the job that she will not thank me for starting. Until then, I think the first load of laundry just finished, so I'm going to soak in a nice bath.

Though I know this doesn't need to be said, Alicia is the most beautiful thing that has ever come into my life, and I love her so much I could cry just thinking about her face. I just needed to say that since I just ranted about her throughout this post.

by the way, I was going to put a picture of the city dump on the top of this post, but it keeps saying "error on the page" so I won't further frusterate myself by fighting with it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is a sweet and beautiful child, but I think I know where she got the bedroom slob thing. I'm not naming any names and I'm certainly not putting myself in the same catagory, tee hee, but it may be hereditary. Hope your vent made you feel better :)
Hey, congrats on finding the camera, SCORE!

Anonymous said...

My kid are both slobs and I have washed my hands of the entire affair. I now just close the door.

Anonymous said...

Loved the inchworm posts. Those days kids got smacked and scolded for showing their "curiosity". These days they would all be sent to councelling!
Dont worry about the mess. As long as its her space. I used to tell my kids that as long as I could get in to vacuum once a month, that was fine. When they ran out of clean socks, they finally figured out where the hamper was!

ellen said...

Good thing I never had kids; I would've been a regular sergeant-major when it came to keepin their rooms clean and neat. Heck, I even scold the cats for not puttin their toys away.

Anonymous said...

You don't have to be distrustful to Alicia's friends any longer. It's better not to tell them what you thought :-)

In one or two years you may not enter Alicia's room without permission :-)

Penny said...

You've touched a topic near and dear to my heart. When I 15, my mom opened a closet to put something away and a few things fell out. She was angry at my mess and went to town, knocking down everything in my closet, drawers, and every other messy spot. We had a ripsnorting fight that earned me a silver broom for my charm bracelet to commemorate the occasion. Now I have to harp on my kids to clean. Wonder where they get it from?

Sally said...

Hi Sharon - I'm from Ellen's place. I had to laugh out loud about your daughter's room.

When mine was about 16, I came home one night thinking someone had been in the house (not related to my daughter). Anyway, the police were there when she came home. The good cop looked her straight in the eye "Don't you know it's a fire hazard to keep your room like this?" She snickered, held her head down with a shame face! Did she change? Nope!! :)