Wednesday, August 09, 2006

When Alicia was about two, I was dating a guy named Bob,whose family always got together for Sunday dinner. Alicia was going through that fussy age, when they can't sit still at the table for five minutes, so eating out could sometimes be a little stressful. Bob and I were fairly new, but I was really enjoying getting to know his family. They were very kind, and had a great sense of humor.

One Sunday, we were all around the table, and Alicia was squirming and whining, and just making a pest of herself. So I decided to remove her from the room, where she was being overstimulated. I picked her up and walked through the doorway out into the foyer, and around the corner, when I hatched an evil plan. Peaking around the corner to see the reactions, I began clapping my hands together forcefully while saying, "don't you...ever...mis....behave...at the table...again!"

Well I almost peed my pants when I saw the horrified expressions on Bob's poor family's faces. Their forks suspended in mid-bite, their eyes darted around at each other as if to say, "Is she really beating her child in the next room?" Their mouths hung open in shock, so I couldn't even contain myself. I burst into gales of laughter, and half a second later, so did they. I think they were all so relieved that I wasn't a crazy child beater, they had to laugh.

Sometimes I don't know what gets into me...but it's sure fun when it does.

3 comments:

ellen said...

Brat.

Penny said...

I love harmless pranks. Wish I had more imagination to pull them off. You sound like a hoot to be around.

Unknown said...

That's a funny story... I can imagin how their reactions were, also how they looked at you. And now Alicia's version of the facts :-)