Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A few years ago, I was at a baseball dance with my team that took place in a sports bar. It was a nice establishment, but the ladies bathroom had only two stalls, one of them out of order. On one trip to the bathroom my girlfriend was chatting with a woman we didn't know. I didn't hear what they were saying, but I caught the lady say, "...three months" while gently rubbing her slightly swollen tummy.
Shortly after, a woman emerged from the only working stall, and I exchanged glances with the stranger who was rubbing her tummy. We weren't sure who's turn it was, so I said, "Awww, I'll let the pregnant lady go first."
"I'm not pregnant," she said with horror in her eyes.
That's when I frantically began to explain that it wasn't that she looked pregnant, it was that she was saying, "...three months" while rubbing her tummy! Of course she didn't want to hear it, did her business, and then fled the scene.
Oh, how mortified I felt. Later on, my friend and I saw the woman "dancing" in a very jerky, unusual way, and my friend commented that maybe she shouldn't be dancing like that in her "condition."
Ever since that day I made a promise to myself and the universe that, unless there is a little bald head emerging from a woman's body, I will never comment on someone's pregnancy again!

3 comments:

Penny said...

Haven't we all made that mistake at least once in our life? I asked a woman at my garage sale when her due date was because she was looking at a jolly jumper and baby clothes.(But it was really her big belly that prompted me to ask.) She was horrified and asked if she looked pregnant. I lied and said, "No, of course not. It's just that you were looking at baby things. Never again will I ask!

BarbaraMG said...

Yup! I have done that too and never again! There must be scores of women out there that wonder why nobody mentions how big they are!

Anonymous said...

hi sharon, yes it is me ur cuz...[DEB]...how r u anyway finally found ur blog again, that is very common mistake on ur part i would not worry about it to much...just don't make any more comments about a condition unless u 100% sure...lolwe have all made that mistake...u have to check out my blog, not a good writer like u but it is fun....best to all sharon