Thursday, August 24, 2006

Okay, so I never said I was any good at photography. I can highlight your hair in two different colors with a plastic fork, but I can't get one good picture of a whale on a whale watching trip. All of my photos were of the splash a whale makes when disappearing into the water. Lame. I did get a little video footage on my digital camera, though. Not the best, because I couldn't zoom in enough and the whales kept their distance, but enough to prove that we did, in fact, go whale watching....We did!

In other news, Alicia went away with her boyfriend's family for a week on Monday. They rented a cabin with another family at Shuswap Lake, about a five hour drive from here. I haven't heard from her, and I hope she's having fun. I enjoy the break from responsibility on the rare occasion that she's gone from here, but at the same time I miss her, and my mind wanders to her throughout the day.

I only have one client today, which I will come in for at 6:30pm. What a drag to have to come in for a 45 minute cut and blow dry. It's a good thing I live so close to work.

Now I'm going to do some shopping for Drew's Birthday prezzy. I'm going to look for a little TV for the camper. Maybe one with a built-in DVD player so we can pop in a flick in the evenings.

5 comments:

ellen said...

I had the same problem tryin to photograph the whales, primarily because of the delay that modern cameras have for red-eye reduction. Nothing beats the ocular experience of whale-watching, and I tell everyone what a breath-taking experience it was when that Orca came up right beside me, gazed at me with its left eye, then sank gracefully back into the sea. Even the guide was spellbound, sayin the whales "never" come that close to the boat. The film in my head of that encounter beats any photo or video, hands down.

BarbaraMG said...

I was camping on the West Coast of Vancouver Island and saw whales a couple times this summer. There is nothing like it! It is nearly impossible to get good pictures so it is just best to sit back and enjoy the breathtaking experience.

Anonymous said...

It is one of my unfulfilled dreams, watching free whales. I have the same feelings for dolphins. But they are unreachable for me, it is too far away from here. Well.... I watch them on Discovery Channel, Animal Planet and found some pictures and a lot of information on the internet.
http://whale.wheelock.edu/Public.html

Susan said...

Thank you for your comment at my site, all the blog support is astounding.
Sorry your whale pics didnt turn out, but you had a good time and thats what counts.
I hope your daughter is enjoying her trip. Prayers for her safe return being sent your way!
Susan

Penny said...

For some reason there is a big blank where your entry for this blog use to be. I've read it before it disappeared, though. I would love to watch the whales. Maybe next summer...