Wednesday, October 11, 2006





So, as I mentioned in a previous post, my parents are taking Alicia to Mexico in December. We all know that applying for a passport can be a time consuming affair. They really make you jump through hoops, what with the pictures, the guarantor, and all the documentation. I'm surprised they don't take a swab from your cheek to make sure you are, in fact, the child's mother. There is a certain satisfaction that comes with the completion of some errands. I went to the passport office last week, and after waiting only about half an hour, approached the cubicle only to find out that one of my documents was incorrect. What I thought was Alicia's father's original death certificate, which I drove all the way into Vancouver to borrow from his parents, turned out to be a copy. So I left the passport office, went home, and got on the horn to Vital Stats to order an original. Sigh.
The document came in about a week, so it wasn't too bad of a wait. Every day counts, though, because for one, my Dad won't be able to stop asking me about it until he has it in his hot little hands, and for another, you just never know when some complication will extend the process. Best to get it done in a timely manner, so off I went, bright and early this morning, to get the job done. I got there before it opened, at 8:30 and there was already a line-up. Once they opened, we all filed in and took a number. I was lucky number 11. Can you believe I was walking back to my car by 9:30? It was painless! Anyway, now I just have to sit back and wait for it to arrive in the mail. Oh and I also have to write a letter authorizing my parents to travel with her, and make an appointment with a notary public to have the letter notarized. PHEW! It's good that the process protects children from being smuggled out of the country. It's just a pain in the butt.

7 comments:

ellen said...

It's so much easier to cross the border with a passport, that you quickly forget all the fuss and bother it took to acquire it. Alicia must be excited; what a great thing for your parents to do!

Penny said...

As long as your parents and Alicia aren't hassled once they actually go, the fuss before hand won't matter. Wow! Your parents and Alicia are going to have a great time. What a bonding opportunity. Will this be over Christmas?

Anonymous said...

How come the grandkids have all the fun? Where were the trips when we were kids. The parents wouldn't even take us camping!
She's gonna have a blast, and Mom and Dad will be deaf from the chatter by the time they return :)

Anonymous said...

Your parents are great people and Alicia is a lucky young lady because of them and you. Want to experience a real pain in the butt? Just try immigrating once and you'll know what I mean. At least I learned some tricks. Stay, rollover, jump through the hoop, etc.

Anonymous said...

Lucky parents you have. Traveling with, and taking care of their granddaughter. It will bring back a lot of memories to them.

Penny said...

Where in Mexico are they going? It's a million to one shot, but we're going there, too. Maybe we can do lunch!

sharon said...

Penny: Curse you for making me spell Porta Viarta! (I am a terrible speller)LOL They're going on the 9th for 10 days. Where are you going?