Sunday, June 04, 2006

THE GREEN SIDEWALK

When I was about 8 years old, we moved to Richmond, BC just outside Vancouver. At that time there were ditches of varying sizes that ran down each side of the roads, where the sidewalks would have been. Because we are below sea level, they served as resevoirs when the water levels rose. Each house would then have a bridge of some sort that allowed a car access to the driveway. Some bridges were solid and paved, others were rickety and made of old, rotting, waterlogged wood.

Before moving here, I'd never seen a ditch before. The ditch in front of our house at the time, had a solid, soft green blanket of moss that lay carefully on top of the water. In fact, unless you knew what you were looking at, you couldn't even tell that there was water under that moss covering.

One day, I was kicking a soccer ball in the front yard with my brother, Mike, when the ball went over my head and landed gently upon the mossy "green sidewalk." It didn't break the surface, it didn't bob in reaction to the impact with the water, it certainly didn't make a splash. So without giving any thought to what might be lurking under the green sidewalk, I yelled playfully, "I'll get it" as I leapt from the edge of the yard down to the moss. Imagine my surprise when I splashed through the soft green fuzz and was up to my arm pits in ditch water. We're talkin sewage, bacteria, and lots of creatures. Rats, frogs, and Lord only knows what else. To say I was shocked is an understatement, and as I began to climb out of the ditch, my brother caringly reminded me to get the ball while I was in there.

The funny thing about it was that my biggest worry at the time, was that I got my new socks dirty. My parents did not care about such things, and yet I thought I would be in trouble for staining my new socks. When they arrived home, I was standing in the shower with all my clothes on, crying my little eyes out trying to rinse some of the sludge off before I disrobed. My sister and two brothers told my mom and dad what had happened, and they both came into the bathroom laughing.

To this day my dad refers to the green sidewalk and my I always think of myself unknowingly leaping with glee into a ditch full of sewage. It's a little humbling.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tee Hee Hee...Tee Hee Hee...Har Har Har Har Har. That was funny !!

ellen said...

When I was a kid, your uncle Fred was my constant tormentor. He laughed at me when I fell (and was often what caused me to do so), teased me mercilessly, and gave me a lot of bruises. That's why I loved it so much when your dad would come home on leave and "avenge" me by tackling Fred to the ground, tickling him to death and mock-punching him.

SOME older brothers don't stink.

Unknown said...

I read all of your Posts Sharon. And this Post is very funny. As soon as I feel good I will write a little bit more. OK?

~DdK~ said...

now tell the Mexican (almost) jail story.

Penny said...

I grew up with ditches too. In spring we loved to break the ice and then carefully lower one foot into the water, trying to see how far we could submerge it, to the top of our boot. Inevitably we'd go just a little too far, and the water would seep in and we get a "bootfull". My mom heard every story under sun about how we accidentally got a bootfull.