Thursday, July 05, 2007

Aaaahhhhh Summer


When I was a kid I had a bitchy friend named Theresa. She was really moody...like when you'd sleep over at her house, you'd wake up at a reasonable time, and she'd sleep until one in the afternoon. Then when you were about to starve to death, so you'd try and wake her, she'd rip your head off.

So one day, we decided to actually get up at a reasonable hour, get ready, hop on a bus, and go to our favorite beach in Vancouver. We had planned to meet some friends there, but wanted to get a good log to set up beside, so we headed off before anyone else did. We got to the beach and found the perfect log close to the water and fairly close to the concession stand. After laying out our towels and blankets, we lay down to catch some rays. Aaaaaaahhhhh, I've always been a sucker for the sun. At the idiotic age we were, we had no regard for the damage it could cause, so we slathered ourselves up really well with lots of baby oil, and both of us drifted off into a deep sleep.

When I opened my eyes, the sun had moved over quite a bit. How long had I been sleeping, I wondered. I looked down at myself to see that I had been sleeping long enough to get a nasty sunburn. Looking over at my friend, I noticed that she was still laying on her tummy sawing logs, but had a towel thrown over her diagonally covering about a third of her back. I gingerly lifted a corner to see the contrast between the blinding white skin under the towel and the bright lobster red skin that had been exposed to the sun for God knows how many hours. Yikes! I tried to gently wake her by saying her name...then I shook her shoulder and said her name a little louder. On the third try, she didn't open her eyes, but she did screech, "Leave me alone!" When I tried again, she screeched something starting with an "F" and ending with an "OFF!"

By this time, I had just about had enough of he temper, so I did what anyone would do. I carefully replaced the towel diagonally on her back so that it lined up exactly with the crisp line that the raging burn had created, put some sunscreen on my own burn, so as not to let it burn further, and went to the concession stand for a nice ice cream cone. Sweet dreams Theresa...

Needless to say, the girl suffered pretty severely for her bitchiness. She agonized over her burn for a week, and then peeled like an onion. LOL Not to mention the fact that she looked ridiculous with a diagonal line across her back, one side so red it was almost purple, and the other white as snow. You know, on the way home from the beach she was sitting in one of the courtesy seats and I was sitting in a seat right beside them when a little old lady got on the bus. She looked at Theresa who quickly spat out, "I'm not giving up MY seat!" So I gave her mine. She just never learned that nothing good comes of being so bitchy!

Oh FYI, my burn turned into a nice golden tan. Hmmmm. karma? Perhaps.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now thats funny! Theresa who? Oh BTW remind me not to piss you off when you decide to come to Greece for holidays and we go to the beach cause the sun is alot stronger and hotter here. I can only imagine the great designs I will discover on my back!!!Tee Hee Hee!
Kik's

Penny said...

I've got to wonder what became of dear Theresa. Maybe you could introduce her to Drew. Sounds like they deserve each other.

ellen said...

That's a funny picture.

Unknown said...

Again a funny story! Revenge taste sweet ;-0