Monday, November 27, 2006

This is the view from my bedroom window, people! Does this look like BC to you? Me neither. Can anybody tell me what all that white stuff is?!?

Very few people in our area of the world know how to drive in the snow. And out of these few people, only a small fraction have a vehicle capable of somewhat sticking to the road. No one prepares for such weather because we only get one snowfall a year, and sometimes it doesn't even stick to the ground.

Though I can certainly appreciate the delicate beauty of a snowfall, I am one of the many people who don't have access to a snow-worthy vehicle. So I'm pretty much trapped at home for as long as Mother Nature decides to blanket our land with snow and ice. Even trips down the street can prove to be a dangerous task. People drive like it's the middle of Summer. Not to mention, you get these geniuses, whose cars handle well in these conditions, who just assume everyone has control of their cars. So they don't mind cutting you off or stopping unexpectedly in front of you, because they don't have the foresight to predict the consequences. Like, say, the front of my car plunging into the back seat of theirs.

Anyway, It's a beautiful thing, as long as you don't have to go anywhere. Many schools are closed (not Alicia's, much to her disappointment.) Lots of people are home from work and in some areas there are no buses running. I really need to go grocery shopping. I guess it's Kraft dinner tonight...

3 comments:

ellen said...

I can see how a snowfall like that could prove disastrous for you west coasties. Believe it or not, Winnipeggers are no more skilled at driving through a fresh snowfall than your folks are. I'm sure you'll be all melted before long, which is more than I can say for our snow (pout).

Anonymous said...

So much for using the snow as an excuse to stay home today. Dad took Mom's van and picked me up on the way. So here I sit at work. What a drag! Sigh...

Anonymous said...

That will teach you to make fun of the snow we were having. Na Na Na Na Na, and as far as Sheryl is concerned...thanks a lot dad!!! Well I see you've seen your Aunt's blog so you know there won't be any fashion show or any else like it...sorry. Have a Merry Christmas and all the best to you.