Saturday, July 01, 2006

My daughter brought to my attention the ironic side of going camping. We pack up and drive at least an hour to sleep and hang out outside without all the modern technologies, but we pack everything but the kitchen sink! If we're trying to get away from technology and the comforts of home, why are we bringing all these comforts camping with us?

Because I like my comfort, that's why! I like my meats marinating in the cooler so I just have to throw them on the grill. I like my hot water bottles in case it's cold at night. I like bringing preboiled potatoes so they're ready to fry. I like my tent that goes up as easy as an umbrella, and I like my propane tent heater just in case there's a chill in the air. I like too many clothes, towels, blankets, and flotation devices. I like the weenie and marshmallow stick I bought from Canadian tire instead of having to find one on the ground. I like fire starter, air matrices, bug spray, and sun screen.

And then when it's all over, I love coming home to a real bed, a real bathroom, and 5 days of reality TV waiting for me in my VCR.

6 comments:

Penny said...

For all those reasons and so many more, I prefer daytrips or hotel camping. If someone else did all the packing and unpacking, tent setting up and down, cleaning, cooking,washing, and planning, maybe I'd be up for more camping. As it is I only like the thought of going. Have fun. Roughing it is great, if you've brought your comforts with you!

Unknown said...

Absolutely true what you said about the comfort we are used to. It's nice to prepare your holiday, to feel the tension of going to unknown places. But it is so nice to come home and have some rest after all :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi sharon,this is Deb ur cousin from ontario, finaly found ur blogs,very interesting, ur daughter must be getting very old by now, i like the way you right, it is from the heart, u have a flare for with writing. I have a blog now on yahoo 360. I will be checking in from time to time ok. have a nice visit with Joe and Deb........ur cuz DEB

Anonymous said...

My idea of camping?
ROOM SERVICE!
Have a great time.

sharon said...

Deb: I'm so glad you dropped by! Next time, leave me your url so I can visit your blog!

BarbaraMG said...

I am a roughing it kind of girl. My only "issue" is the outhouses. I just hate them! I have mild panic attacks when I have to go in one. So gross!