Sunday, February 07, 2010

Moving and stuff

Well it took us about 5 days and two trips to the salvation army to move into our new place, but we're here at last. We had so much stuff to get rid of (and still do) and so much stuff to find a place for in our new home. I've started my new job at a salon, and quite frankly, I like it. It's only half the money because it's 50 percent commission though, so I'm working like mad getting the house fixed up so I can have clients here. I won't have an entire room like I did in the other place, but I can set up a nice little station in a corner somewhere. I have to buy a portable shampoo sink that hooks up to the kitchen sink so I can wash hair, but other than that it's just making the house presentable. It is a fixer-upper, but it's being fixed up in record time. My new landlord is amazing. He said he wanted to paint the inside of the house and when we moved in it was painted. Then he said he wanted to paint the outside, which was badly in need, and guess what!!! The painters started on it yesterday! I'm so used to landlords and building managers that are all talk no action but this guy seems really eager to make the place nice. So now I'm just trying to make this house a home and I think it will be really nice when we're done. The linoleum in the bathroom is atrocious, so that needs to be replaced, and we're putting laminate in the kitchen...would you believe we're laying laminate again? There's some stucco that needs repair outside, but he's coming tomorrow to start that, and a few plumbing issues I still have to discuss with him. It's just humming along! One thing I didn't think of asking originally is whether we are sharing a hot water tank with our neighbors...it's a fourplex and it seems that whenever anyone takes a shower, we are surprised periodically by scalding water for a few seconds. Nice. I know there is a valve though, that can be installed that prevents flushing toilets and such from affecting the temperature of the shower. We'll be addressing that, but things are looking up. I'm happy, though busy, and I can't wait to have some down time to enjoy the fruits of all our hard work:)
Kelly is working security for the Olympics all through February and it's going to almost kill him I think. Most are over night shifts, some are up to 13 hours, and he's booked almost 7 days a week! It's too much, but at the same time, it comes at a good time. I'm slow at work right now and am only making a portion of what I charge now, so this will give me time to set up here and get back up and running. Anyway, not the most exciting post, but I'm too busy right now to be exciting. LOL. Hope all my blogging buds are well! A special well wishing to my Uncle Curtis who is not feeling too great at the moment. Feel better soon Uncle C!!!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

That was a lot of work and there is still a lot to do Sharon. I'm glad for you to have a job but it's hard work for your money and Kelly is also very busy. I hope you and Kelly can manage all this. The good news is that you have an amazing new landlord. :-)
I added a comment on Curtis' Space, we really did know what happened to him. As far as we understand is he alright now and at least in good hands by doctors and good neighbours. Take care Dear Sharon.

Susan said...

Hi Sharon,
Sounds like alot of exciting changes for you guys. Your hair looks great! Do you cut your own?
Keiths brother is doing security for Premier Mikey C, and over the olympics and the lead up to it has been crazy busy for him!

sharon said...

Yes Susan, I do cut my own. I have no patience to make an appointment. LOL. I'm more spur of the moment. When I decide on a change, I do it now!
The Olympics are going to be chaos. I'm almost glad Kelly's working mostly nights to avoid most of the craziness.

Unknown said...

correction:

I wrote this in my comment:

"I added a comment on Curtis' Space, we really did know what happened to him."

but I meant to say:

I added a comment on Curtis' Space, we really did NOT know what happened to him."

Sorry Curtis....

Penny said...

Glad to hear you are getting settled into your new place. Moving is so much work. I hope your new landlord continues to follow through on his promises. I wish I lived close by so you could do my hair. Your hair looks great. How do you cut the back? Cute new pic of you and Alicia, BTW.

At least Kelly knows the Olympics won't last forever, if he can hang in there for the duration.

Think of how nice your place will be. The hard work will pay off!

Hope Curtis feels better soon. We were all worried about him because we hadn't heard from him for so long.

Pauline Koh said...

I like your blog.

sharon said...

Thank you Pauline:)

Curtis said...

Dang if I ain't gittin' forgetful. I remember comin' by here and readin' all this and I'm sure I left a comment but it ain't here. Ok who took it? So sounds like ya'll is busy ovair with all that there movin' and security stuff. Man it's more excitin' ovair than here but that's alright cause I is gittin' a little old for much excitement. Now I'm a gonna leave this comment and no one better take it neither.

Susan said...

Stoppong by to see how you are all keeping. Have a great long weekend!