Wednesday, January 14, 2009

harsh but true

One of my clients was telling me about a friend of hers who has cancer. The cool thing about this lady, is that she's designed silver bracelets that sell for about a hundred and fifty bucks and that fifty dollars of each sale goes toward cancer related charities. What caught my attention, though, is that these bracelets are not the average pretty pink that is generally associated with cancer. In fact, she feels that as pretty as the pink bracelets and pins are, cancer is not pretty and girly. So her bracelets allow people who have or have had cancer to express how they really feel about it. It may seem a little crass, but from what I understand, they go over huge. They truly reflect how most of us feel about this deadly disease. Check out this website if you want to see for yourself. http://www.soulflower.com/fcancer/

5 comments:

Penny said...

Sometimes it feels like we are fighting a losing battle, but I know great strides have been made.

Anonymous said...

I took a look and actually like them!
The reality is that if you have ever lost a loved one to this monster you know how painful and unfair this disease really is.

When my cousin died at the age of 38 it really hit home for me and the thought of leaving young children behind is a very scary thought.

All I can pray for is that this disease that plagues us be banished forever and no person sheds another tear from cancer!

Kiki
xo

Unknown said...

I'm looking for the right words to express in what way I support cancer research (it's a word I'll never write with a Capital). There is one big organization here where we can donate money for research and other things. It's called "Koningin Wilhelmina Fonds" (Queen Wilhelmina Fund). I donate every month a certain amount of money to fight this monster. I know, in Canada you have a similar organization and health care in your country is excellent. In my opinion it's more helpful to donate every year, every month, a small amount of money to help fight cancer.
Have a nice weekend Sharon, Kelly, and daughters A & A :-)

Curtis said...

Your Aunt Ellen had a tee shirt that read "Cancer Sucks". That was crass enough for me. Sorry I haven't been around much lately but it's nice to know I have a niece that thinks about me. It would be nice to be closer but as I've said before...careful because I'm subject to take off and end up somewhere at any given moment. Love ya

Susan said...

That puts it plainly! I dont think you will find anyone who doesnt feel that way about cancer.
OMG its trying to snow again!
Maybe we need a bracelet that says F.SNOW!!!