Monday, April 23, 2007

Pink Flamingos


When my sister turned 40, I wanted to do something special for her. Something that would tell the world (or the townhouse complex) that her Birthday was something to be acknowledged. So I got to work on a couple of projects. The first was a big sign that read, you guessed it, "Lordy Lordy look who's forty!" I made sure it was huge and painted with bright colors, so that all who emerged from there townhouses would see it. My next project was my favorite of the two. I took a few sheets of green foam that I had bought at the dollar store, some pink pipe cleaners, and eighty tiny googly eyes and got to work. Out of each pipe cleaner, I fashioned a perfect little pink flamingo standing on one leg. After this long job, I put a spot of glue on the bottom and poked all forty of them into the foam sheets so that they stood up. Then I glued two little eyeballs on each little flamingo. I couldn't have been more pleased with how it turned out, so on her Birthday morning I sneaked over to her door, hung the poster with some balloons, and lay the sheets of flamingos on the hood of her car, so that they would be the first thing she saw when she opened her door. She got a real kick out of that, and brought them to work to show her coworkers. One of the things that I requested of her was that she pay it forward. The next person that she knows who turns 40, she has to pass the flamingos on to and they have to do the same. I think it would be funny to see how many people will get the flamingos. Our girlfriend Daveen will be turning 40 next, so we are going to pass the little flamingos on to her next month. Sheryl was suggesting that whomever gets the little guys, write their date of birth on the bottom of the foam mats and sign it, so if they make their way around the lower mainland, people can see the journey they have had!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when my sister turned 40. I got her a cake and wrote the lordy lordy Kathy's 40.Took her out for dinner and got her drunk. She was happy and depressed at the same time. The only good thing about her turning 40 was that she had a 22 and a 20 year old sons. When I turn 40, my kids will still be in elementary school.Now thats depressing!!!!
P.S. All my love to Sheryl and a happy happy b-day. And for the record,40 is the new 30!
Kiki

sharon said...

actually Keeks, Sheryl turned 40 last year. She's 41 now. I was just posting about it to talk about the flamingos we will be passing on next month. I know what you mean, when I turn 40 Alicia will be 22, so that's pretty cool! One of the silver linings to a teen aged pregnancy! LOL
Love ya bud.

Penny said...

Oh darn, I've already turned 40 so I guess the pink flamingos won't be heading my way. Maybe you can add a few and make it 50. I've got a few years to go, so you've got plenty of time to get started. (I was very happy to turn 40 cause I got my teaching degree the year I turned 40.

Susan said...

I guess I missed out on my chance by almost two years!
My 40th brithday was the best I ever had. Its true, life really does start at 40. I feel like I was reborn!
How bout them Canucks ????? Look out Ducks.

Unknown said...

Do us a favour and publish a photo of the pink guys in your blog :-)

Anonymous said...

So when do you get the flamingos?...next year? Har Har. I ain't gotta worry about em cause you missed me by a couple of years. I hope Sheryl really comes up with something nice for her loving sister on her 40th.

Why does this word verification thingy make me do this 2 and 3 times?????? Can't it read? I can!!!

ellen said...

I love your sense of fun.

Anonymous said...

Isn't everyone sweet? I'm actually 42! But if anyone wants to think I'm slightly younger that's O.K. with me LOL

sharon said...

Wow, Sheryl, you're 42. I can't believe I said you were 41. Time sure flies! LOL. Are you sure you're 42? Just kidding, sorry I'm a bad sis and lost a year.

Unknown said...

Hello busy Sharon, sing us a song again and put your video on, Please. I mis your funny stories!

Anonymous said...

I love her sense of fun too. She is such a sweetheart.

Hmmmm I turn forty in three years and then almost two years to the day after that it will have come full circle.

XoQ

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'll forgive you. The mistake must be cuz I look so darn young for my age. LOL