Monday, October 05, 2009

Out of the Mouths of Babes



Penny's blog just inspired me to post a cute story (that I cried when I heard) about my sweet, perfect, precious baby niece, Sophia. She just turned two at the end of September. Sophia was in daycare and I'm not sure if it was her Birthday or someone else' s, but they were all given a piece of cake. So all the kids are chowing down enjoying their treat, and Sophia eats about three quarters of her cake and stops. She grabs a napkin and tries to wrap up the rest and stuff it in her pocket, so the teacher says, "Sophia, don't you want to finish your cake?" Sophie looks up at her with her big brown eyes and says in her little baby voice, "I saving it to Daddy" My heart wanted to burst out of my chest when my mom told me, that my brother told her, that the teacher told my brother...gasp gasp...gasp...(that's how it works in my family) Anyway, the teacher told her that they saved her Daddy a piece so she could go ahead and eat the rest if she wanted. And she did eat it, which says to me that even though she was still enjoying it, she wanted to sacrifice it so her Dad could have some. That's pretty awesome considering her age and stage of development. Kids her age are typically so egocentric, they are in the "MINE!" stage. So the teachers sent them home with two pieces so they could eat it together when they got home:)

5 comments:

Penny said...

Sniff, sniff. Obviously she gets this from her Auntie Sharon...Or maybe even Great-aunt Ellen. Obviously, it runs in the family. Such a sweetheart.

Susan said...

Aww thats so sweet! I cant believe she is already two!!!!

Curtis said...

Ain't this just the greatest family I've been adopted into. I think Penny is right.

Unknown said...

...and a couple of days ago I looked at her through the rear view mirror on the way to day care and said, "are you my little princess?" to which Sophia replied, "No, daddy. I'm Sophia...I'm just me." Thanks for telling this story so well, Sharon. It was nice to see it here after I hadn't checked your blog for such a long while.

sharon said...

Aw, she's so precious Mike. I can't wait to see you both. She is truly special and is a princess even if she is "just her." XXOO